This is an update primarily for those of you who were registered for the 2020 Superior Fall Trail Race and are interested in registering for the 2021 race this September. This email is also applicable to those that were registered in 2020, and cannot, or do not want to register in 2021 but would like the opportunity to register in 2022. Finally, the email contains some information for those that were not registered in 2020, but would like to register in 2021.
Our hope is to run the race in a very similar, and only somewhat-modified format from years past. The race dates will be Friday September 10 (100 mile start) and Saturday September 11 (50 miles and marathon start), 2021. At the time of registration there will be several disclaimers, making mention of the modifications we intend to implement right away, modifications that we may implement between registration and the event, and the modifications that could be added if required by our permitting agencies as we finish up the permitting process. We will also make mention of some (hopefully) worse-case scenario modifications that would be required should things take a turn for the worse with the pandemic between the time that you register and the time that the race takes place. Please keep in mind that our policies remain the same as they always have been, once you have registered, should the event be cancelled for any reason, there are no refunds, deferrals or credit to future years races. We ask that you use all of this information in order to make an informed decision as to whether or not you would like to register for this year’s race.
As of today, July 7 2021, the Superior Fall Trail Race is still not permitted. Normally we get the event permitted about 10 months in advance, this delay is due entirely to Covid. Based on our conversations with the permitting authorities, it is our hope that we will get the approvals we need in the coming weeks. We do not want to open registration until our permits are in hand. Please know that we are diligently working on this, are patiently waiting on others, and will provide updates as soon as we can. Please note that with September quickly approaching, the window to make a decision as to whether or not you would like to run, and to get registered will happen in pretty short order once we get approval to proceed as it is almost mid-July now.
A couple of reminders, important notes and updates regarding registration for this year’s race.
1.) Those that were subject to last year’s cancellation will be guaranteed entry into this year’s race should they choose to register. Once registration opens you will be given between one and two weeks to make your decision and get registered. You will be responsible for the full entry fee. Once the entry fee is paid there are no refunds, deferrals or credit to future years races.
2.) For those that were registered in 2020 and were cancelled on, you will be able to skip the 2021 registration and race and defer to 2022 should you be unable to participate or if you choose not to participate this year. There will be an online form available for you to fill out, so you can indicate to us that you would like to defer to 2022. We will email everyone that was registered for the 2020 race a link to this form within the coming week.
3.) We have had some requests, and will accommodate as many people as possible that would like to switch distances from the distance they were registered for in 2020, for the 2021 race. We will have to stay within our field limit for each individual distance, so we may not be able to accommodate everyone that would like to switch. While most people we have talked to are looking to switch down, it is important to note that you will have to meet the qualifying requirement should you be looking to switch up, and virtual races will not count as a qualifier. There will be an online form available (which will state the qualifying requirement) for you to fill out, so you can indicate to us that you would like to switch distances. Prior to registration opening you will receive an email indicating whether or not you have been approved to switch. We will email everyone that was registered for the 2020 race a link to this form within the coming week.
4.) Depending on our permits, there may or may not be additional spots left after we get everyone who was registered last year, into this year’s race. More information will be made available once we have our permits in hand.
Thank you all for your patience. We will be back in touch once our permits are finalized and registration is set to open. We are hopeful, and looking forward to seeing you all in September!
Superior Fall Trail Race